Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Kohler engine crankcase pressure blows oil seal

Question
I have a 25hp OHV Kohler Command series engine on a Grasshopper lawnmower. The engine has about 1200 hours on it, and runs without missing or using oil. Recently while mowing, large amounts of oil appeared. I shut it down immeadiately. After inspection, I found that the rear oil seal had come out. I disassembled far enough to replace the seal, and reassembled. The engine started right up, ran as normal at low speeds, and I tried mowing again. After about 15-20 mins or so of mowing, the seal blew out again. I DID NOT replace the seal with a new one, just put the original back in place. It did not appear to be worn or hard. Is it possible this is just an issue with the seal itself, or is it more likely to be an issue with crankcase pressure? I've seen where the crankcase breather on these engines can become plugged, but would this cause the seal to be blown out? I am very mechanical, but I just don't have much of anything as far as testing equipment goes. Is there any way to tell if the seal should be replaced? Should I replace it and try again? Or should I disassemble farther and check the breather?

Answer
Replace seal and check breather.  A breather is like a PCV valve allowing the engine to form a vacuum so the oil stays inside the engine.  You can make an inexpensive manometer or purchase an inexpensive vacuum gauge and a rubber cork to check the engine vacuum.  It MUST maintain vacuum or it will blow the seals and oil out of the engine.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones