Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Smoking chain saw

My old Shindaiwa chain saw has started smoking from the muffler/engine area after I run it for 10 minutes. It runs ok; the chain turns freely; I just wonder why it's smoking. I think I mixed the gas/oil correctly, but I suppose I could have made a mistake. Do you think I should add a little more 2-cycle oil to the gas can? Other ideas?

Usually the extra smoke is caused by a little too much mix oil in the gas...I'd rather have more oil than less.

If you are questioning your mix you can get rid of the old mix and try new mix that you know the mix-ratio.  Some shops will take the old gas/oil mix.  Another option is to run it through your vehicle but make sure the vehicle has over 3/4 of a tank of gas.  The fuller your vehicle the more it will reduce the oil to gas mix.  I have a truck with a 26 gallon tank so putting 1 gallon of mix get diluted so much it does hurt anything...just don't do it all the time.

Have you check the chainsaw engine compression?
Is the spark plug black with soft/sooty deposits?  If so, this is also a sign of too much oil.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology