Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Charging System

Question
QUESTION: I Have A 25 HP Twin Just Replaced Voltage Regulator. When I Use The Electric PTO The Charge Light Is On, Turn PTO Off Light Goes Out. PTO Seems To Be Working Fine.

ANSWER: You really need to check the resistance of the PTO clutch.  Lots of information online...search for Warner Electric Clutch resistance or Toro Electric Clutch testing.

Do you have a voltmeter to check for voltage and resistance?

Have you dis-connected the battery cables and cleaned the battery terminals and battery cable ends with a wirebrush...I have fixed a lot of charging problems just by cleaning the connections even though they looked clean.

Have you had the battery load tested to ensure the capacity is at the spec on the battery?

Any reason regulator may have failed?

What brand of mower do you have?

Recent friend kept burning regulators...turned out to be a bad key switch and melted electrical plug connected to the key switch.

Let me know.
Eric

QUESTION: Mower Is A 2002 Troybilt Model 14AR809K063 Battery Is New 275 CCA. Terminals Clean And Tight. After Using Mower For Two Hours, Battery Still Charged. Started Mower, Battery Showed 11.9 V. Started Mower Deck, Battery Showed 11.77-11.78. Light Still On. Mower Deck Off, Turned On Lights. Discharge Light Glowed Bright, Wiggled Key Switch, Light Went Out. Tried That With The Mower Deck Running No Change. When Checking Out Put Of Alternator Do I Need To Put Both Probes On Each Pin From Connector.

ANSWER: What engine do you have?  Kohler or Briggs and Stratton?
What is the model, type and code or serial number.
Most newer models will have 2 wires coming from the stator...these are AC volts...so set the meter needs to bet set to AC and one meter lead on each stator wire...measure the AC output at full engine speed.

Let me know the engine information.
Eric

QUESTION: Sorry. Engine Is A Briggs And Stratton Model 446777. Type 0106E1. Code 011205YG. It Is 25 HP. Thanks I'll Check Stator Output.

Answer
Use the URL below to identify your charging system:

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_specifications.pdf

This URL describes how to test the system:
https://www.vanguardengines.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_replacement.pdf

Don't worry too much about the DC shunt.  They are very expensive, I have one, but rarely use it.  There are also plans on the internet for building your own.

Let me know if the URLs help.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones