Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman II

QUESTION: I just bought a Craftsman II mower with 22" Base and 5 HP engine used. The previous owner said it started a few days ago but could not start it when I looked at it. It seems to me that the throttle is not engaging so I took apart the housing near the handle which also included a power forward cable. I put the throttle cable in the right place but the 2 parts of the housing would not go back together. What am I missing? Why won't they mesh together?  The model # is 917.378694.Is there a tutorial on putting the housing together?

ANSWER: Check of alignment marks and wear in the housing and on the cables.  Often time the cables need to sit in a notch on both sides of the housing to get it to mesh.

The parts diagram is terrible and not much help.

Do you have owner's manual?

I do not have the owner's manual.  I did look at the pars diagram andyou are right.  They did not help.

Based on the part numbers the mower was manufactured by AYP.  I don't think they are in business anymore but the name and/or products are owned by Electrolux.

I've seen very few of these mowers so I'm not as familiar with there parts or repair.  With many, many years of experience I can usually figure out how to fix numerous cable systems.

Have you tried contacting an AYP distributor?  Often times distributors have access to more information than service shops.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology