Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman lt1000 repower

QUESTION: hello, my friend has a 2003 craftsman lt1000 with a 17hp single cylinder briggs, well he wants more torque, he wants a twin cylinder, and I know a guy that has two 16hp briggs opposed flathead twins that he has in a junk pile, and he wants to get rid of the junk pile so he will probably give me the two briggs twins if i ask, but will a 16 hp briggs twin fit on a 917.27268 craftsman body.

ANSWER: The engine should bolt right on.  You will need to check the electrical connections, throttle connection, and most important the crankshaft diameter, length and keyway.  You will have to remove the engine pulley to check the crank.  Will the other engine clear the hood?

QUESTION: thank you, the hood shouldn't be a problem i don't think. the bodystyle craftsman lt1000 before his, from 99-00 came with the second gen flathead briggs twins 19.5 hp from the factory and i dont think they did much changing to the hood and frame but im not sure so it might fit over that engine. btw are the briggs opposed twins are they like the single cylinders where you can hook up just the starter wire and itll startup and run all day but to turn it off you kill the fuel or ground the sparkplugs out? just wondering.

Yes, you can just ground the spark plugs.

If you look close, usually in the location where the throttle cable connects, you will see a spade terminal one wire running up under the engine sheet metal.  This is the shut-off wire for the engine.  When you turn the key switch off the switch grounds the ignition coil and stops the spark.  Very simple to connect and a great way to trouble shoot if you think a safety switch is preventing an engine from starting.

Picture of a shut-off wire:

Location from a Tecumseh engine:

Just look around the throttle cable connection are or front of engine...there will only be 1 wire connected to the terminal block.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology