Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Scotts L2548 safety switch

QUESTION: Hello, I have a Scotts 2548 that will start and run fine.  However, when I pull the PTO switch to engage the blades nothing happens.  This has been an ongoing problem this year and I found if I bounce on the seat a little the blades will engage.  However that no longer works.  Thinking it was the seat switch, I have replaced that (no help).  I have discovered that when I bounce on the seat the blades attempt to engage but the safety kills the engine.

ANSWER: Have you checked the PTO switch to make sure the contacts are not intermittent meaning they sometimes work and sometimes don't?  The switch or the connection may be dirty or just have a poor contact.

QUESTION: Eric - Thanks for the answer, I did check the PTO switch, I also checked the reverse lock out safety.  neither of these make any difference when trying to engage the PTO

I googled scotts l2548 wiring diagram and saw relay in the circuit.  You will need to visually check to see if you have a relay as the wiring diagrams are not always accurate.  You should see the relay if you google scotts l2548 wiring diagram.  Let me know if you find a relay or another electrical component you can't identify.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology