Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Wheel Horse 417-8 is not working right.

Question
1986 Wheel Horse 417-8
1986 Wheel Horse 417-8  
I've got a Wheel Horse 417-8 and its been running fine since March and in June the key switch wires came off and it wouldn't start so I fixed that and got it running, than the next day it wouldn't start so I took it to a professional and he found the float had a hole in it about 4 mm wide and he fixed that and it started up but it only ran there and when I got home it wouldn't start to back off the truck. well I got it to start the next day and it ran amazingly but it idled for 10 15 minutes and I turned it off and it wouldn't start backup, but I got it running three days ago and it ran very smooth then I drove it around my yard and I stopped and went to engage the mower blades and it turned off and wouldn't start back up. so now I'm in a pickle. could it be shorting out somewhere or is the oil sensor not working because it just got a oil change to the proper amount. so I'm out of ideas of what it could be. I appreciate the help, because I'm tired of working on it more than I use it.

Answer
It could be a low oil sensor.

The more likely problem, since it died as soon as you turned the blades on, is a defective safety switch or connection.

Do you have a Kohler engine?
Do you have a digital multimeter to check the safety switches and electrical system?

Did you find the manual, Check page 32 for the wiring diagram.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/tractors/tractor_1986_200-300-400_om_8

The wiring diagram is very detailed, better then most.

Also, you will be hard pressed to find another decent tractor like the one you have.  A good tractor, similar to what you have, would cost $5,000 to $8,000.  The newer, lower cost machines at Lowe's or Home Depot are not even close to the quality of the Wheel Horse.

Let me know if you have a multimeter.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones