Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Wheel Horse 417-8 problem solved.sort of.

Question
QUESTION: This is the same Wheel Horse from last week's question. I found out that the seat switch is good and the oil pressure switch is good, but the engine has shown its age. I did a compression test on the left cylinder if you stand on flywheel side and I got 25 psi and then I tested cylinder #2 and I got 35 psi, so I did a wet test and both cylinders went to like 80 psi so I pulled the cylinder jug off the #1 cylinder and sure enough the rings were shiny. So now I need a ring kit and the price for most are over $100 and I would like to get a kit for less than $100 for both cylinders. Do you know where I can get cheap but reliable ring kit for a Kohler KT17QS for less than $100?

ANSWER: It has been many, many years since I ordered rings...it has gotten too expensive, labor rate, to replace rings...new engine prices have dropped dramatically as well.

I'd search the Internet for the best price and would use chrome rings if you are not planning on boring cylinder.  I've always been told that chrome rings will seal better as long as the cylinder is honed prior to installation.

You could also check with some local machine shops as they can be very knowledgeable.  I haven't visited the old machine we used to use but their lead machinist did a great job and always provided good advice on the better quality parts available on the market.

Do you have a ball type cylinder hone?

Eric

Shes on the lift.
Shes on the lift.  

the kt17 block
the kt17 block  
QUESTION: I'm not sure, ive got it at my school auto shop so we might have a ball type cylinder hone but im not 100% sure. i plan on having the mower in the auto shop till the spring to test it on grass, it needs to be cleaned up, clutch adjusted, brake shoe replaced, wiring redone, id like to put 4 wheeler tires on it so ill have better traction because im from Lynchburg, Va and our nickname is the city of seven hills, so i have a pretty good slope that i have to mow and the last time i mowed with it it would slip alot more than i would have though. Is it a good idea to rebuild the transmission or just clean the gunk off and leave it alone? and it needs to be repainted.So ill just clean it till i get some money. the thing i wanna do is keep this tractor original, motor tranny, wheels, tires, mower deck. so thats why i wanna rering the kt17 because I LOVE AN OPPOSED TWIN ENGINE AND THE KOHLER WAS A GOOD RUNNING MOTOR. ive put too much money into the engine already to giveup on it. but thanks for the advise.

Answer
Since you are taking your time on your project I'd recommend joining the Wheel Horse tractor message board.  I have a lot of experience but the members on that site have much more combined, specific Wheel Horse knowledge.  I'd like to find an older WH like yours but they are very rare in my area.  Let me know if you can't find the WH tractor board.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones