Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Head bolts

Question
I have a tecumseh engine model number ov358ea and was wondering if the head bolt are torque to yield or can I reuse them also my head bolts has two washers on each and most of washers were cracked or broken should I be worried about that? I'm hoping that I have the right torque specks for that also 19ft pounds or I think 230in pounds??? Thank you for your time ito is greatly appreciated.h86ne

Answer
The torque is correct.  I would get new washers...based on experience with Tecumseh engines.  They are not as balanced as Briggs, Honda, Kawasaki...I had an older Tecumseh with an odd problem once...long story short one of the head bolt holds, in the head, was so out of round it was leaking when it got hot and causing very poor engine performance.  Repaired the hole with a bronze bushing and it ran great...so find some hardened washers for those head bolts.

You should be able to re-use the bolts...never heard of torque to yield on Tecumseh.

Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones