Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda HR 214 SX

Question
I'm contemplating whether I can repair my favorite lawn mower that I bought in 1986 (HR214SX) 4 hp engine.  Over time it has begun to smoke on start up and it loose torque when it gets hot and starts to bog down.  I suspect that the rings are leaking oil from around the piston and it appears to be loosing compression when it gets hot.  I have not taken a look yet at the piston and cylinder at this time and wonder if I'm headed in the right direction with my theory.  When I looked up the piston it shows several ring options and I don't know which ones I need. It appears that they are different thicknesses and I need to make sure I choose the right ones. Additionally, I have read that it is required to remove any glazing that might be present on the cylinder wall to get the rings to seat properly and no allow any seepage.  I would like to find out the proper way to choose the rings and clean the cylinder walls?  Any advise?

Answer
You may have to take it apart to determine the rings.

Do you have the GXV120 engine?  

As for as de-glazing the rings a ball hone works well.

When website are you looking at where there are different rings available?

You might be able to replace the whole engine just as cheap as re-ringing.  However, the new entry level (cheap) engines are not near as good as yours.

Take very good care of that mower...regular service, lubrication...it is far superior to the cheap Home Depot Honda mowers...the new ones are junk...only last a few years.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones