Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/mower

QUESTION: Recently bought a Troy bilt riding mower, took it back for another one, and it has the same problem- it vibrates when the blades are engaged. I removed the blades to see how it performed with no blades to see if it still vibrated- it did not.   So I put on new blades thinking one was out of balance or crooked.  Didn't help at all- still vibrates.  I would appreciate any idea I might try.

ANSWER: I suspect the deck metal is so light the vibrations created through the blades are transmitted throughout the rest of the machine.

Higher quality mowers use heavier metal in the deck which absorbs a lot of the vibrations.

The vibrations are often difficult for most consumers to realize until they use a different product.  

I have noticed the newer, light lower end Troy Bilt push mower vibrate as well.  However, they are very light...I can pick one up by myself with little effort.  Upper end Snappers, Toros and other higher quality machine require 2 people to lift as they are much heavier...but they vibrate much, much less then the light Troy Bilt machines.

I'm betting the mower deck on your rider is just so light the vibrations are just going to be felt.  Did you compare, just roughly, the weight of you old mower's deck to the new Troy Bilt deck?  FYI, the longer the blades the mower vibrations will be generated.

You could add weight to the deck but this can be dangerous as it might come off and cause injury or damage to the mower.

I have the same issue with the current washing machine I purchased.  It vibrates so bad it will walk out of the laundry room.  I called a repair technician and he could not find anything wrong.  Called the manufacturer and they said it is the floor of my house and I should strap it down.  I ended up using 2 shotgun shot bags, they weigh about 20 pounds each, and placed them on top of the washer.  It still vibrates and shakes the house but it no longer walks stay put as the bag absorb some of the vibration.

I know this is not very helpful but it is probably the design of the deck that is the source of the problem.

QUESTION: Thanks, probably the the best answer I gotten.

Have you checked around you local area to see if someone is selling a used mower that you could go and test to see how bad it vibrates?  

You could also go to a mower dealer and test one of the mowers they sell.

What is the model number of the Troy Bilt mower you have?

Some of the after market blades are heavier than stock blades.  I wonder it they would help reduce some of the vibration?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology