Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Snapper rear engine M/n m280917b

Question
QUESTION: Hard to start then it runs at high rpm.

ANSWER: Did the problem happen suddenly or has the mower sat a while?

When was the last time the carburetor was rebuilt?

Have you removed the carburetor and inspected the carburetor and the linkages?

Let me know.
Eric

QUESTION: The problem happened suddenly.  Never rebuilt.  I have removed carb & cleaned. Linkage seems fine.

Answer
Read the information at the URL below:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/support/faqs/adjusting-the-governor

You should never have to do a static adjust but the governor arm may have come loose.

Google Briggs and Stratton static governor adjust and watch some videos.

BE CAREFULL!! if the engine over speeds you could break the connecting rod or valves.

These engines are not known for breaking governor gears but it can happen.

Let me know if the information in the article helps.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones