Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Toro cord replacement

QUESTION: I have a Toro Recycler lawn mower. I recently changed the drive belt by following an online video. I now need to replace the pull cord, but I don't know how to remove the 3 screws holding the assembly in place. I'm not sure what the screws are called, but I imagine they are used to discourage user access. They look like aluminum rivets with round holes in the middle. What are the screws called and what tool do I need to remove them? Thanks for your time.

ANSWER: What is the 5 digit Toro model number?  The model is printed on a silver sticker about the size of a business card.

QUESTION: Model number is 20331. Thanks

I believe you have a Briggs and Stratton engine...the parts diagram did not list the engine model number.  The starters on these engine are usually held in place with 3 rivets.

To repair the starter, it is easier to remove the fuel tank, 3 screws on top, 1 screw on the side with a spacer.  Remove the oil dipstick tube screw.  Remove the 2 front and 2 top screws on the metal engine shroud cover and remove the entire cover to access/repair the starter rope.

Once you have the cover removed you can access the starter pulley to wind the spring and replace the rope.  Watch the You Tube videos on rewinding or replacing the starter rope...they are very helpful.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology