Small Household Appliances/Microwave

Question
Hi Wayne,

I have AMANA- maytag microwave (over the range)
Model Number: ACO1860AW

It doesn't work properly. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. Either I have to bang it with my hand, or unplug it and plug it back in and then it starts working.
Sometimes it looks like it is working but the food is not heated. I therefore have to stop it, unplug it, then plug it in back and bang it with my hand and it heats up the food.

Therefore my guess is that there is some loose connection. I want to know your expert advice on this. Please let me know how can I fix it.

Thanks

Answer
You are probably not going to like what I have to say but there is really no choice in the matter.  I would use it as long as it still works and toss it out.  You may have an open in the touch board and it will cost more to replace the board than a new unit will cost.  The problem may be in a door switch.  Sometimes they will malfunction.  If that is the case it would be worth repairing if you do it yourself but if you take it to a repair shop the cost will approach a new unit cost.  A door switch will cost about $5 but the labor will be expensive.  You will have to test each switch to see which one is bad and then order it from the manufacturer.  There are usually two or three door switches.  Sorry I can not be more help but without seeing the unit it is hard to say exactly what the problem may be.

Please visit our web site: www.kieferappliance.com

Small Household Appliances

Wayne Kiefer