Small Household Appliances/Dehumidifier

Question
I have a 25 pint dehumidifier (three years old). It appears to run normal but doesn't collect water. I've cleaned the filter but didn't help. While in operation, the compressor gets really hot....is it low on Freon? Can the system be recharged? It looks like it's sealed....possibly meant to be disposable? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks,

Answer
It could be either the freon is low or the compressor is not working.  In either case you are correct in saying that it is disposable.  Most of the new dehumidifiers are made in China and there is no repair to them.  Your best bet would be to go to a Good Will or resale store and see if you can find an old unit made in the US that just has knobs on it (no touch board).  It may take a little more electricity than a new one but it will probably out last it four times over.  Be sure to test it before buying.

Please visit our web site: www.kieferappliance.com

Small Household Appliances

Wayne Kiefer