You are here:

Small Household Appliances/Microwave paint peeling - fire hazard?

Advertisement


Question
Hello Wayne - I have a GE Profile microwave, model #pem31sm3ss, no longer under warranty.  It works great but the paint inside is peeling and bubbling on the "ceiling."  Is this a potential fire hazard?  I Googled this problem  - some people say it is no big deal, while others say their houses burned down from the resulting fires.  I am confused and not sure what to believe.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Yours, Susan

Answer
I would not take a chance on using it without replacing the chipped paint.  There is an appliance paint on the market that you can use to repaint the upper surface.  Check at a good hardware store or building supply store in your area and see if they have any.  It will say "appliance paint" on the can.  Remove all of the chipped paint and repaint. I would use at least two to three coats. This will solve your problem.  If you do not repaint, the microwaves will concentrate on the bare metal and heat at those spots and it could cause a fire.

Please visit our web site: www.kieferappliance.biz

Small Household Appliances

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Wayne Kiefer

Expertise

Any concerning the repair of small electric household appliances (coffee makers, waffle makers,etc.) shavers, antique clocks, air compressors, lamps, generators.

Experience

High school Industrial Arts teacher. Plant manager at Trek Bicycle factory. Self employed for last 20 years in the small appliance repair business.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.