Small Household Appliances/Sunbeam t20b rewiring

I have a sunbeam t20b toaster from 1952, when looking for cloth covered wire I can only find 18 gauge. Is that sufficient for the current and heat associated with a toaster?

I am really surprised that you can find any cloth covered wire at all.  We have to use a three wire 16 ga. wire but it is plastic coated.  We have to use a grounded plug because of shock possibility.  As a home owner you can use 18 ga. wire.  A toaster is not used all that much so I think your 18 ga. would work.  If you can get a core with a molded plug it is better.  After attaching the wire to the toaster, run at least three cycles on the toaster and see if the plug or wire is getting hot.  I may get warm and that is natural just not hot to the touch.  Usually a toaster is only used for one cycle at a time with time to cool off.  

If you ever require repair on this model toaster please contact us as we repair a lot of them.

Please visit our web site:

Small Household Appliances

Wayne Kiefer

Any concerning the repair of small electric household appliances (coffee makers, waffle makers,etc.) shavers, antique clocks, air compressors, lamps, generators.

High school Industrial Arts teacher. Plant manager at Trek Bicycle factory. Self employed for last 20 years in the small appliance repair business.