You are here:

Small Household Appliances/Replacement cord for Royal Rochester percolator with flat pins


I just found a beautiful Royal Rochester porcelain coffee percolator at a thrift store.  Patent date is 1924.   It came with its original power cord, but that cord is cracked and broken.  It has two flat prongs, rather than the standard round, unfortunately.

I know the proper repair would be to replace the flat prongs with round ones, but being a thrift store item rather than a family heirloom, I don't know if I want to put a ton of money into repairs.  My question: since the original cord still has the metal female connections inside the plug, could those somehow be used to modify a modern plug to work with the flat prongs?  (I don't know anything about appliance repair, so please forgive me if this is an ignorant question.). I don't know if it will work, even with a replacement cord, because I hear a small rattle when I turn it over.  It has a gravity-reset switch, it says.

It is a beauty.  I would love to see it operational.  I might be willing to shell out for a proper repair down the road.

Thank you!


Being in business, I have to recommend that you replace the flat pins with round pins.  That said, you may be able to take the plug at the end of cord that goes into the coffee maker apart and see if you can splice in a new cord.  You will have to silver solder the ends as soldering won't stand the heat.  Or if you have a high temp crimp connector, you could try that.

If you would like us to do the work, we will be happy to replace the pins and replace the cord.

Please visit our web site:

Small Household Appliances

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Wayne Kiefer


Any concerning the repair of small electric household appliances (coffee makers, waffle makers,etc.) shavers, antique clocks, air compressors, lamps, generators.


High school Industrial Arts teacher. Plant manager at Trek Bicycle factory. Self employed for last 20 years in the small appliance repair business.

©2017 All rights reserved.