Snakes/My 7ft Gopher snake is acting weird.

Question
Hi, I have a 7ft Gopher Snake, we believe he's about nine years old. He was given to us by a friend who couldn't take him to their new apartment. We've had him for over a year and a half, and he's never acted like this before. He's usually really calm, laid back but for the last week he's been going Bonkers in his tank. Day and Night he's hitting the top of his tank and just going around and around. We have not changed anything in his tank, or anything in the area he's in. The only change is I've become pregnant and have been spending quite a bit of time in our bedroom resting and that's where he is. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I don't know what to do, honestly he's driving me nuts, he's not exactly quiet. But I'm also nervous that he may be upset or stressing over something. Please help!

Answer
Hi Jess and congrats. I cannot explain the snakes behavior for sure, but I think they know. We had the same experience twice with our snakes and dogs both. If possible, I suggest moving him to another room and keeping it pretty dark most of the time. It could just be the change in the season, but as long as he is eating well, I would not worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he does not develop nose rubs or other injuries.

Snakes

Kevin L. Ogle