Snakes/red tail boa enclosure question

I have a question about my red tail boa's terrarium. The snake, Naomi, is now 3.5 ft long and too big for her current terrarium... We had been keeping her in an aquarium I once used for fish. My husband is currently building her a much larger terrarium for her to have for life, hopefully. The outside is already built and only the inside needs to be completed. The dimensions are about 6ft tall, 4.5 ft wide, 2ft depth. The style and look resembles a China cabinet as it will be in the living room. Now to my concern. The front of it has a large sheet on glass on the door which swings open just like a China cabinet. it is key latched, but I worry for the glass. It is not safety glass, its just regular glass. My husband for whatever reason used regular glass. I have two house cats who mean the world to me. When the snake gets full grown, will she be able to shatter the glass? My husnand and I have argued over this. Please settle the debate.

Thanks for your question. I just consulted my dad on this one because he had a reptile farm and built their enclosures by hand all the time. He tells me that as long as the glass is at least 1/4" thick it should be just fine. I imagine it was the snake striking at the cats and possible breaking through you were worried about correct? He said he would always use plexiglass to be safe but 1/4" thick should be unbreakable even for a full grown boa.

Adena Canterbury

I can answer questions about what kind of snake to buy and what to look for in terms of health. How to determine gender, what to feed, types of snakes and behaviors. I can answer questions regarding catching snakes, handling venomous, venomous knowledge questions. I cannot answer questions regarding breeding or hatching or health questions that should be answered by a vet, I have no medical knowledge on snakes other than simple health questions.

I grew up on a reptile farm in Florida where my dad bred, raised and sold many kinds of reptiles, mainly snakes and gained much knowledge from this. The experience sparked my own fascination for snakes, which I now own two of my own and constantly capture wild snakes to study for certain periods of time.

Grew up on a reptile farm. My brother and I plan to open a reptile store.

Have taken snakes from friends to improve their health. Have caught wild snakes for the learning experience.