Snakes/How can I get my snake to stop biting me?

I got my first snake a few months ago, and there's a lot I'm still learning.  I really like my snake, as most of the time it is friendly and fairly calm.  However, it has a nasty habit of biting me, and I'd like to know how I might get this to stop.  Do you have any suggestions as to how I might get the snake to stop biting me?  Are there any ways to train/teach it that biting me is not something it should do?

I would try handing the snake with garden gloves. Now, there are some snakes that never get out of the habit of biting. I have a Macklot's python that is like that, she still bites although I have tried every trick in the book. My best advice is to handle early and often with cloth garden gloves (providing it is a small snake).

Kevin L. Ogle

I can answer almost any question regarding snake husbandry, feeding, general care, handling, etc. I have some experience with geckos and bearded dragons. I cannot answer questions regarding breeding or venomous reptiles.

I have over 10 years experience in snake husbandry. Currently, I have the following (Children's Python, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Western Hognose, Olive Python, 2 Macklot's Pythons, D'Albert's Python, 2 Carpet Pythons, 2 Royal (Ball) Pythons, California King, Green Tree Python, Amazon Tree Boa). While I have no formal training in Herpetology, I can help most folks keep their snakes healthy and happy.

AAS in Electronic Engineering (Tennessee)
The Logistics Institute (Georgia Tech)