Snakes/Amazon Tree Boa

Question
Hello,
I have an Amazon Tree Boa.  I am not sure how old it is but it is not a Baby.  My question is how often should it be eating.  I am finding that it only wants to eat every 3-4 weeks.  Is this normal for an ATB.  Another question I have is are they known for being lazy?  I mean it basically just sits under the basking lamp (88 degrees) all the time.  It has gone over to the cooler side but very rarely.thanks

Answer
Dean,

Thanks for your question. Yes, it is perfectly normal for any snake, not just your type, to only eat every 3-4 weeks. Typically, as you may know, a snake should get a meal slightly larger than its head and about as big around as the largest part of its body. This size meal should be good enough for a few weeks, but I would go no more than 3 weeks without feeding them again, they can go very long without food, but in my experience, about every 3 weeks is the best.

And yes, it is also perfectly normal for your snake to be basking and to be seemingly lazy. In the wild, this type of snake does the same thing, soaks up the sun and warmth during the day, and typically becomes more active at night, which is when they normally hunt. Rarely will boa or constrictor types be very active at all, it's just how they are.

If I can answer any further questions, please ask!

Snakes

Adena Canterbury