Snakes/Snake boots

QUESTION: I live in Southeast Arizona in the basin and range land. I plan on spending quite a bit of time in the country this fall. We have the Western Diamondback and the Mohave rattlesnakes here. There are others but those species are very rare. I will be walking through a lot of knee high grass. I am concerned about getting bitten. There have already been some snakebites this year. How high do these snakes strike? The biggest I have seen was around five feet long. Would I be better off wearing knee high boots or should I invest in a pair of snake chaps?

ANSWER: It is said that a snake can strike a little over half its body length, and usually they strike from the knee down ( but that is not a guarantee by any means). I would suggest getting some knee high snake boots and some chaps if you can.

But again these are not a guarantee that you wont get bit, as i have seen snakes go through the chaps and tag people.

There really is no safe way to be in a venomous snake area, but these 2 items should give you a better chance of staying safe(er).

QUESTION: Any brand of chaps that are better than others?

Sorry for the delay, this went into my spam email for some reason and I just came across it. And just as long as they are a thick leather, good chaps won't be cheap. I would have to look up what brand we use but honestly I just wear boots most of the time. I have knee high snake boots and those do well for me

Amber Barrett

I can answer any and all questions about snakes, whether its how to pick the right snake for your needs and wants, eating and temperature issues, health problems ( I can not give a diagnosis or make up for vetrinary treatment but can give options on what to do). I can also answer any questions on breeding snakes, what it entitles, what you can expect, I know quite a bit about any products for snakes and their husbandry.

I currently keep over 150 snakes, I keep everything from ball pyhtons, to retics to green tree pythons. I have been around them my whole life due to a family interest in breeding them. I have researched, purchased, and delt with just about every snake, product and issue you can run into.

Although I do not have a degree in herpatology, I have been around snakes my whole life and through books, research and life I know alot about them.