Snakes/what type of snake is this

Question
snake in question
snake in question  
Yesterday while on a walk i cam across a little snake trying to cross the road. I have no idea what type of snake it was but I would like to know. I live in Wilmington NC and it is not on the list of snakes native to this area. i didn't pick it up. it looked like it was scared it was blowing out the sides of its head. i will attache an image.

Answer
That is a hognose snake.  Probably an eastern.  Awesome little snakes!  So glad you didn't kill him.  There was a subspecies, the "southern hognose," which has all but disappeared in the wild.  They do puff up just like a cobra.  They will even roll over and play dead!

Snakes

BPC