Soccer (American), Football (European)/Indirect Kick

Question
Hello

If a defense player passes the ball to goalie and goalie picks it up right next to the goal, where does opposing team take the indirect kick from?

Thanks

Marc

Answer
An indirect free kick would be awarded and the kick would be taken from the top of the goal area at the point nearest to the point of the foul.

This is the only time that defenders would be able to stand closer than 10 yds away from the ball on a free kick.  The defenders would be able to stand anywhere on the goal line between the goal posts.  If not, then they must be 10 yards away from the ball.

Hope this answers your question, and hope you have fun on the pitch.

Soccer (American), Football (European)

John Cummings