Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Birth Announcement2/17/2017Sharon Schweitzer JD
  Q: What's the correct way to mention deceased grandparent's names and where they resided (city/state) ...
  A: Sarah, First, congratulations on your newborn son. This is a beautiful time to be cherished and ...
death1/22/2017Nancy Mitchell
  Q: my dads brother in law passed away (his sister died 4 years ago) . My dads brother in law was like ...
  A: What a lovely gesture to send flowers at this sad time. I would send the flowers to your father and ...
Covering scars1/12/2017Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: I am going to attend training with my coach and other athletes. I know the coach very well not the ...
  A: Never be self conscious about your scars. They are part of who you are. Go ahead and wear your ...
Denying Invitation1/11/2017Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: If a supervisor ask one of his subordinates to dinner at his home, but the subordinate does not want ...
  A: While a person has the right to deny an invitation, in this case I believe it would be politically ...
physical confidence1/5/2017Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: I want to increase my physical confidence I have will for humanity,to do anything big I have mental ...
  A: Self confidence when meeting new people takes practice and knowing that you have something to give ...
dvd12/20/2016Nancy Mitchell
  Q: I would like to know if Ms. Nancy has all her videos on DVD for purchase. I teach etiquette to my ...
  A: The videos were produced and are the property of the website Monkeysee.com, parent company ...
joining club10/24/2016Nancy Mitchell
  Q: I have a friend who I have coffee and lunches with regularly and he belongs to the premier social ...
  A: I see no problem or awkwardness in asking your friend to sponsor you for membership in the club. ...
awkward letter9/20/2016Teri Davis Newman
  Q: I would like to send a condolence letter (Not a sympathy card!) to an acquaintance whose father ...
  A: I would word it in such a way that you convey that you are sorry for her loss but not to imply that ...
This is awkward!9/20/2016Nancy Mitchell
  Q: acquaintance whose father died a month ago. She and I are not close - that's why I didn't hear of ...
  A: Because you don't know the specifics of your friend's relationship with her father in his final ...
Letter of condolence9/20/2016Sharon Schweitzer JD
  A: JoAnne, Comforting others is a delicate balance. You are a thoughtful person to be concerned about ...
An awkward letter9/20/2016Constance Hoffman
  A: Jo: Focus on your friend, not on the person who passed. Keep your message simple and supportive ...
How to write a condolence letter in an awkward situation9/20/2016Jay Remer
  Q: I would like to send a condolence letter (not a sympathy card!) to an acquaintance whose father died ...
  A: I understand your hesitation. Make no reference to the relationship between the deceased and your ...
Vests8/18/2016Constance Hoffman
  Q: Hoffman, Do you have any thoughts on men wearing vests? I enjoy wearing them, but would like to get ...
  A: The shoulders of the vest should always lie flat against your body and below any collar points. If ...
women7/20/2016Teri Davis Newman
  Q: Is it bad manners to go up to a woman I don't know and say "I want to fuck you".
  A: If you really have to ask this question, then you are beyond what I or anyone can do for you. You ...
birthday party etiquette7/18/2016Jay Remer
  Q: an aunt of ours is having a surprise bbq for her husbands (our uncle) 65th birthday party on the ...
  A: I would resist going down that road personally. I do not know your family's dynamics, however. ...
Serving etiquette6/5/2016Constance Hoffman
  Q: I hope you could kindly enlighten me on serving etiquette. I have helpers at home (maids) and they ...
  A: Your helpers should not be placing the serving trays on the table while guests are present. Should ...
Non-Communicating Neighbor5/14/2016Teri Davis Newman
  Q: Recently, my neighbor approached me and said that she found a kitten in her yard, and was unable to ...
  A: Just go ask her if the kitten still needs a home and if so, you are prepared to do that now, but not ...
Referring to shopper as "Mama"5/9/2016Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: At the supermarket my mom regularly shops at, the employees constantly refer to her (usually in the ...
  A: When someone calls a woman over the age of 40 "Mama", it is a term of endearment, not an insult and ...
Grave Monument Name4/20/2016Teri Davis Newman
  Q: I had a brother is that died at 14 y/o, and we were raised by our mother and step father. When my ...
  A: If your stepfather doesn't visit the grave (and it's highly unlikely that he does after 44 years) ...
sensitivity with friends4/12/2016Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: I have an old friend in another city who I see twice a year when he comes here on business. We ...
  A: My suggestion is that when you are on the phone making your plans with your friend to meet that you ...
Formal dinner seating for two3/31/2016Nancy Mitchell
  Q: What would be the correct way to seat two people - an older, married couple - in a large, private ...
  A: This seems an odd circumstance to me, that two people would be seated alone at such a large dining ...
head stone2/29/2016Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: My father-in-law just recently remarried, not quite 2 years after the death of his first wife (my ...
  A: What an interesting coincidence about your Father-in-law's first and second wives' names being the ...
Proper way to respond2/14/2016Jay Remer
  Q: Remer: I have been taking my pets to a very good veterinarian for several years. She is retiring ...
  A: You have every right to use whichever vet you want. I am a dog fancier and have been most of my ...
wedding party1/24/2016Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: I am the mother of the groom and I would like to have my niece in the wedding party as a flower ...
  A: I am sorry that the process of planning your son's wedding is difficult. However, even if you are ...
Beta Male Handshake1/23/2016Jay Remer
  Q: Regarding handshakes, I've looked into dominant and submissive body language and it seems the best ...
  A: Both 'alpha' and 'beta' handshakes are to be avoided. A proper handshake between any two people ...
Gravy boats1/16/2016Teri Davis Newman
  Q: Newman: I am shopping for a sterling gravy boat. What are the best dimensions for the boat for ...
  A: For small home dinner parties you should have a 12-16 oz gravy boat as it can be refilled and they ...
Gravy boats1/16/2016Jay Remer
  Q: Remer: I am shopping for a sterling gravy boat. What are the best dimensions for the boat for ...
  A: First of all, do not worry about dimensions. Gravy boats can vary in size and they all pretty much ...
Gravy boats1/16/2016Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: Lett, I am shopping for a sterling gravy boat. What are the best dimensions for the boat for ...
  A: I don't often receive questions about the accoutrements of fine dining so your question was most ...
Business dinner1/12/2016Constance Hoffman
  Q: Hoffman, Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year ma'am. I may be attending a dinner next week ...
  A: Todd: If you are wishing to obtain a position in law, by all means attend as many functions/dinners ...
ex husband's Obit1/11/2016Sharon Schweitzer JD
  Q: I was married to the deceased for 37+ yrs...we have five adult children,and many grandkids. Neither ...
  A: Grace and kindess to all concerned under the circumtances eases the stress in times of loss. ...
Graduation Gift1/10/2016Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: Is it inappropriate to send a box of candy along with a graduation card to a college graduate? I ...
  A: Graduation gifts typically are items that are useful to the graduate in the future. Some ...
Standing in Doorways1/6/2016Constance Hoffman
  Q: As a business owner I am often frustrated by individuals who choose to stand and block entry ...
  A: I suggest a few ideas. Say "excuse me, but I need to get thru......" , or as a leader, when you ...
stop neighbors from visiting12/28/2015Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: It started nice, with my senior neighbors (we're in our early 30's) coming every now and then, ...
  A: You are running scared of your neighbors when you should just be up front with them. The next time ...
Tombstone inscription12/27/2015Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: What is the proper was to inscribe a headstone? I am divoriced, and was divorced at the time of my ...
  A: There are several issues about your situation that would like to address. Children aged 13 and 9 ...
Obtaining Addresses12/18/2015Teri Davis Newman
  Q: I am thinking about sending a graduation card to a college student who will graduate soon. We ...
  A: As they say, it's the thought that counts. People who put their address online do this in order to ...
Sending Graduation Card12/15/2015Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: I am thinking about sending a graduation card to a student employee that once worked with me along ...
  A: Sending a congratulations for graduation card is never a bad idea, but it depends what it says and ...
Saying Goodbye12/6/2015Teri Davis Newman
  Q: Newman: There is a young female employee who will be resigning soon from her job where we both ...
  A: If she told you personally that she is leaving then you should definitely wish her well a day or two ...
Hand Shake or Hug12/4/2015Constance Hoffman
  Q: There is a young female, 22 years old, who will be resigning from her job. We currently work ...
  A: Unless there is a long term, close friendship between the parties it would be best to offer a hand ...
Appreciation Letter12/1/2015Cynthia W. Lett
  Q: I work with a student employee at a state university. She has been a very good employee kind, ...
  A: The best approach to your wanting to compliment this student for the job well done is to write a ...
suicide of current boyfriend11/17/2015Nancy Mitchell
  Q: My daughter current boyfriend of less than a year took his life and my daughter found him. His ...
  A: May I begin with condolences to your daughter, her boyfriend's family and your family. Such a ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett

Top Expert on this page