Social Etiquette and Good Manners/business etiquette

Question
I resigned from a contract position that I had been at for 6 months. A person that I had been working closely with, sort of a supervisor, asked me what company I was going to. I did not feel comfortable with this question and said "I would rather not say". Was there something else I could have said as she seemed offended.

Answer
Dear Rosalie:
It is always difficult leaving a contracted position that has been long term because of the relationships that have been forged.  Perhaps your supervisor asked so that she could keep in touch for the future?  Perhaps not, but in the free-lance world it is always a good idea to keep your clients informed of what is going with you.  A better retort might have been something like, "I'll tell you what... when I get settled I will email or call you with my current contact information. I appreciate the opportunity I had here to work with you and look forward to staying in touch."
Whether or not you follow through is your decision of course, although I highly recommend it.  Even people you think wouldn't be able to help you in your career goals know people and talk. The more civil you are the more apt you are to receive referrals and compliments to others on your behalf.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett