Social Etiquette and Good Manners/poor customer service

Question
Hello N. Mitchell

I went into a store just to pay a bill granted that i was dressed poorly because I was in a rush from home. I entered the store and the cashier extended her hand out to take my payment and I put the money in her hand. Well my change of 7 dollars she put on the counter 2 feet away from my extended hand. She made a rude comment when I asked to have the money put in my hand she refused so I asked for my money back and then she did the strangest thing she held the money up to the light for a 2nd time, so i retrieve my money and walked out of the store.

Answer
Dear JB:

Thank you for sharing your question and concern with me.

The unpleasant experience that you describe should not have happened. No matter how you were dressed while conducting business in the store, the clerk should have treated you with respect. That is basic customer service.

You may want to register a formal complaint about the clerk's rudeness.  You could do this by speaking with the store's manager or writing a letter to the manager or owner. To get into a dispute with the clerk is a waste of time. Your complaint should be registered farther up the chain of command.

Management needs to know how employees treat customers and to take corrective action when necessary, because surveys have shown that good customer service is one of the top reasons shoppers return to a business. We want to feel valued and respected, and we want to receive the assistance that we need. When an individual behaves as inappropriately as did the clerk you describe, management needs to know and to take action or their customers will trade elsewhere.

Regarding the exchange of money, I caution you not to jump to conclusions when a clerk does not place bills or coins into your hand. The nationality of the clerk may dictate that to do so would be inappropriate. This is a cultural nuance that often leads to misunderstandings in retail transactions.  That said, what transpired following the exchange of your money--checking the bill a second time--was rude and offensive on the part of the clerk.

One thing has not changed in centuries of retail sales--the customer is always right.  When a sales person forgets this basic rule of service, a customer needs to not only take their business elsewhere but to register a complaint with management so that the offending clerk is corrected and re-trained or things will never change.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Nancy Mitchell