Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Addressing an envelope


How do I address a invitation to an anniversary party where the husband is an MD and the wife is a Ph. D.?

Thank you for your question Bob.  The envelope can be addressed The Doctors Smith or if keeping the names separate, then the woman's name is first. If using their degrees, then leave off the "Dr."  Please see samples of all the correct options:

Dr. Mary Smith and Dr. John Smith

Drs. Mary and John Smith.

Mary Smith, Ph.D. and John Smith, M.D.


Social Etiquette and Good Manners

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Constance Hoffman


As a professional etiquette coach and trainer, I am able to assist with any and all of your questions pertaining to social and business skills, party manner, appearance, communication both verbal and written, tipping, email manners and social media, and of course entertaining and dining etiquette.


As owner of Social and Business Graces, I have been teaching children and adults for over 15 years.

Owner of Social and Business Graces

Owner, teacher, coach and author of "Tips on Tipping".

©2017 All rights reserved.