Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Christmas Letter/Death of a spouse

Question
Each year my husband and I would send out Christmas cards and a letter to friends and family, most of whom we don't see very often.  Just recently my husband passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly.  Many of those who we sent cards to do not know about his passing.  How can I include the deep loss in my letter gracefully?

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Dear Laura:
I am SO sorry for your recent loss.  The holidays are a particularly difficult time when we miss our loved ones.  The best way to inform your Christmas letter friends about your husband's passing might be with wording like this:

"This Christmas season is particularly sad for our family due to ________'s passing in _______.  It was sudden and unexpected and our celebration of the season will be difficult with his absence.  If you have any stories or remembrances that you would like to share, I would welcome a letter, email or phone call.  _____________ particularly loved this season and the traditions we shared.  Those traditions will be carried on as remember him.  

Before we lost ____________, we had the good fortune to _______________ and _____________...  - this is where you share all the good news that have.

I wish you a peaceful holiday season.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett