Social Etiquette and Good Manners/opening gifts

We visited our relatives 2 days before Christmas.  We brought presents for the kids and put them under their tree, becuase some of the kids were not present...upon leaving, they gave us a present and I opened it in front of them.  My husband thinks it was not the proper thing to do.  He said I should have taken it, brought it home, open it, and then send them a thank you note.  What is the proper etiquette?

Dear Houry,
   It was yours to do with as you wished once it was handed to you. It would have been
fine to have taken it home to unwrap or to do as you did.

Some people like to have the gift opened and acknowledged right away. They spent time
and money getting something for you,it is natural to want to see your moment of discovery.

The other side of the coin is to take it with you to open later as your husband wanted.
It is always okay to ask the gift giver when they prefer for you to open the present.

Best regards,
         Amanda Gamble

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Amanda Gamble

I will answer any etiquette question you`d care to ask! I will be happy to give friendly non-judgmental advice on any situation. Certain cultures and religions that outside of my personal scope of knowledge but I usually know whom to ask when I have a question. Time specific questions may or may not get answered by your deadline.

I have been writing a daily etiquette advice column for 12 years. I have taught as well as given lectures on the subject.

Life and other institutions.