Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Second wedding or vowel renewal?

Question
Hi there, we eloped overseas to get married and it was horrid! Firstly the celebrant mucked us around, then the reception venue fell through because the resteraunt had changed hands and they had no record of us and lastly my family and friends couldn't make the trip because of last minute financial problems which only left his immediate family whom I don't really get along with :( So I've decided I would like to have another wedding or vowel renewal not sure which ones appropriate with all the trimmings and guest. My mother in law said I should wait 3 years  because that's when your suppose to renewal your vowels? Is this right and what's the dos and donts?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Jazz:

I am so sorry to hear about the disappointment associated with your wedding. You label that experience "an elopement", a concept that usually means a couple has chosen to avoid the pomp and circumstance, family dynamics and expense of a formal wedding.  The fact that few people could attend should not have been a surprise to you. The other mishaps were, of course, out of your control and extremely unfortunate. But life throws us curve balls, and how we deal with them is a testament to our character.

In order to include more family members and friends and to have a more memorable celebration of your marriage, I recommend that you give a party on the occasion of your first anniversary. Don't call the event a "second wedding" or a "renewal of vows" (I agree with your mother-in-law that it is too soon for that), but merely a party to celebrate your marriage or anniversary.  You and your husband must pay for this party yourselves; you cannot expect a financial do-over from your families. The party can be formal, and you may wear your wedding dress, if you wish. Have a tiered cake and take lots of photographs. Do not register for gifts nor mention gifts on the party invitation, or it will appear as if you are prospecting for presents.  Merely explain to all that you want to share your happiness with your near and dear. If guests feel inclined to bring a gift, so be it.

Wishing you every happiness in your marriage.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Nancy Mitchell