Social Etiquette and Good Manners/birtgday cards

The other day was my birthday and to make a long story short it fell flat but recovered by a few good friends. Well due to this one of my friends decided to make it a big deal at her bar. There is music run by a guy there who I am extremely close with also we have exchange cards over the years and he was part of why my birthday fell flat. So friends gave me cards and gifts etc. Then I got a card what I thought was from him and only him. The verse said with all my love xoxo and then his name. It turns out he just signed his name to my friend the bar owner's card. Plus before I realized it I texted him thank you and how sweet it was and much it meant to me. What do you do?

Dear Theresa:

I am glad that your birthday celebration wasn't bad after all and you were recognized and celebrated by friends.  Regarding the thanks you texted, you do nothing.  Thanking someone in a text rather than phone, written card or in person doesn't mean much so I'm sure he was happy to know that you liked the card but didn't pay the attention to it that one of the other means of thanking someone would have required.  Leave it at that. Next time you see him, don't bring it up unless he does. It was nice of him to at least participate in the celebration by signing his name to a joint card.  Stop fretting. Just be nice when you see him and see how it goes from there.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett

Proper manners with friends,family,colleagues,neighbors and everyone else you know.

I have been an etiquette expert teaching and consulting on the subject worldwide since 1983. I started and serve as the Executive Director of the International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals and am considered a leader in the field of etiquette and protocol training and execution. I edited "Etiquette for Dummies" and have recently written "Lett's Talk - Everyday Etiquette Dilemmas and What to Do about Them". My book, "That's So Annoying:An Etiquette Expert on the World's Most Irritating Habits And What To Do About Them" was published in 2009 and is available wherever books are sold. I taught the Business Protocol class to Master's level students at the George Washington University, Washington, DC for seven years I served as Chief of Protocol for MCI Telecommunications for three years.

International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals, ASTD, PCMA, National Speakers Association

I have been quoted over 700 times in the past 5 years worldwide. Publications include Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Washington Times, NY Times, Washington Business Journal, USA Today, Associated Press, London Times, Newsweek Japan edition, Newsweek US edition and many many more.

I am a Certified Etiquette Professional (CEP) and Certified Protocol Professional (CPP) earned by examination through ISPEP. I have a Master's degree in hospitality law and undergrad degrees in Restaurant & Hotel Management and Public Relations/Interpersonal Communications from Purdue University.

Who's Who Worldwide,Who's Who of American Women, Distinguished Darden Professor (Purdue University).

World Bank, United Nations,US Dept. of State, US. Dept. of the Army, Pentagon, Barclays Global Investors,Accenture,Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, The White House, Dept. of State, AT&T,Bank of America,American Association of Clinical Pharmacies,Ritz Carlton Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Marriott Hotels,Starwood Hotels,and many more.