Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Holiday dinners

Question
Cynthia, I was wondering, when inviting people or relatives over for Thanksgiving or Christmas, when should you extend the invite.
I have a complicated family but I just to invited 8 days prior to the holiday. I feel this is a last minute invite. Am I wrong to think this? My husband and I felt like we were not going to be invited to any family gathering so made plans with some friends. Now the invite came and I don't feel as though we can go with family because of the alternate plans.
Thank you

Answer
Dear Lisa:
Invitations for special occasions should be made three or more weeks ahead of the event. However, your relatives who invited you to Thanksgiving dinner may not have made decisions about hosting until late so the invitation was offered much closer to the date.  That excuse aside, if you have already made plans with friends, you should be polite and keep those plans.  Your friends are counting on you to be with them.  

The only invitations you can control are the ones you extend to others.  

I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner - I am sure you will since you will be with people who are happy for your company and that is something to be truly thankful for in celebration of the day.

Additionally, regarding Christmas celebrations in a few weeks, you may want to reach out to a close relative and ask if the family will be celebrating together in some manner or consider hosting a celebration at your home.  This way you can make plans earlier to be together if that is what you want.  Just don't ask for an invitation - that would be rude.  Just say that you are making plans for you and your husband.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett