Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Who greets whom first on entering a room?

Question
I wanted to comment on your answer but it seems the site does not have that functionality.

I agree with your response that the host should greet the guests as they enter the room but disagree that the other guests should greet the new-comers.

It is not practical for guests already present and engaged in conversations to keep track of who all have just arrived. Moreover, it would be rude to break a conversation to greet a new stranger.

New guests know that they have arrived later and therefore the onus should be on them to greet people already there as they enter into their space.

Answer
Dear Monish:

I believe you misunderstood.  I would not suggest that any guest stand at the door to greet late coming guests.  Guests at a party should greet people they don't know as they can. It can be when the other guest is close to them - they should try to include them in the conversation.  As they circulate around the party they should try to meet as many new people as possible.  I did not say they should line up to greet each new guest as they come in.  That would indeed be awkward and unnecessary.
If you arrive late to a party, it is always your responsibility to meet who is already there.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett