Social Etiquette and Good Manners/wearing coats indoors

Question
My wife and I arrived at the home of some close friends for a nice dinner and socializing.  It was not cold in their house but my wife did not bother to remove her outdoor coat the entire evening, not even for dinner. I found this a little less than respectful.  Is this correct or does it not matter?

Answer
Bill, thank you for your question.  If indeed the coat was a winter outdoor coat, your wife should have removed it.  Should she have been cold or needed the coat to cover a split seam, she would have explained to the host/hostess and I am sure since they were close friends a sweater or scarf would have been provide.

By not removing the coat, her actions could appear that she was not relaxed nor planned on staying.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Constance Hoffman