Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Baby shower & grandmother

Hello. My daughter is expecting her first baby, my first grandchild. I am absolutely delighted.

I live in the UK. Baby showers are a new thing here. My daughter's American friends are arranging a baby shower for her, which is a really beautiful thing to do. I am invited.

My question relates to what a grandmother would give as a present on this kind of occasion. As the baby's grandmother I will, of course be giving many gifts for the baby (including setting up a savings account). Therefore, what would be felt to be an appropriate gift from grandmother at the baby shower.

This may seem an odd dilemma to have, but I want the gift to be appropriate within the terms of reference of baby shower etiquette.

I would be very grateful for your thoughts and would like to thank you in advance for consideration.

With kindest regards
Maureen Collinge

Dear Ms. Collinge:
A gift from a grandmother is a special gift for a baby and should be something to be treasured for their lifetime.  I suggest a picture collage with stories going with the pictures in an album for one idea.  Another could be a hand knitted (by you if you have that talent) sweater and cap. Other ideas include anything personally made by you (a picture frame with a family picture in it), a growth chart made of wood, or a movie collage of family pictures with the promise to have the baby's picture added after its birth.  I am sure you have other ideas which would be wonderful as well.  Just keep in mind that the baby has only one maternal grandmother and whatever you give should be personal to that fact.  Please don't consider giving clothes or toys.  The baby will outgrow these items quickly.  Whatever you give should never have the opportunity to be outgrown.

I wish you well.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett

Proper manners with friends,family,colleagues,neighbors and everyone else you know.

I have been an etiquette expert teaching and consulting on the subject worldwide since 1983. I started and serve as the Executive Director of the International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals and am considered a leader in the field of etiquette and protocol training and execution. I edited "Etiquette for Dummies" and have recently written "Lett's Talk - Everyday Etiquette Dilemmas and What to Do about Them". My book, "That's So Annoying:An Etiquette Expert on the World's Most Irritating Habits And What To Do About Them" was published in 2009 and is available wherever books are sold. I taught the Business Protocol class to Master's level students at the George Washington University, Washington, DC for seven years I served as Chief of Protocol for MCI Telecommunications for three years.

International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals, ASTD, PCMA, National Speakers Association

I have been quoted over 700 times in the past 5 years worldwide. Publications include Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Washington Times, NY Times, Washington Business Journal, USA Today, Associated Press, London Times, Newsweek Japan edition, Newsweek US edition and many many more.

I am a Certified Etiquette Professional (CEP) and Certified Protocol Professional (CPP) earned by examination through ISPEP. I have a Master's degree in hospitality law and undergrad degrees in Restaurant & Hotel Management and Public Relations/Interpersonal Communications from Purdue University.

Who's Who Worldwide,Who's Who of American Women, Distinguished Darden Professor (Purdue University).

World Bank, United Nations,US Dept. of State, US. Dept. of the Army, Pentagon, Barclays Global Investors,Accenture,Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, The White House, Dept. of State, AT&T,Bank of America,American Association of Clinical Pharmacies,Ritz Carlton Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Marriott Hotels,Starwood Hotels,and many more.