Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Birthday card etiquette advice

Question
Should the recipient of a birthday card from a "family" member open the card on receipt of the card or wait until later and not open the card knowing that the catd contains a monetary gift and only say, "Thank you?"

Answer
Dear James:

Thank you for your question. It is a common dilemma whether to open a gift in front of the giver or to wait until the giver is no longer in your presence.  A card is treated exactly like any gift.  When you receive it the best thing to do is say thank you and state that you will open it and enjoy it when you are in private.  If the giver insists that you open in front of them, then you respect their wish and open it. If it is a card and money is enclosed, the only response from you should be "Thank you so much. Your wishes are so generous and I really appreciate it."  Then, you send a handwritten thank you card after you leave them - no matter whether the amount was miniscule or outrageously generous.  The card is just as important as the money enclosed so you thank them for their kind wishes and generosity.  In your thank you note you don't mention the exact amount of their gift - just their generosity.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett