Social Etiquette and Good Manners/who to give the gift to

Question
Hi! I have a gold cross for myself ($30) and now I decided I don't want it. I can't return it because I returned something else to buy this. lol
So, I was thinking of either giving it to my niece (age 30) who just had a birthday, OR my 80 yr old friend for her birthday because she gave me a $20 bill.

Now I can't decide to give it to. Emily, my niece, got a silver cross necklace and earrings from Avon from me about 2 yrs ago for her bday. She normally doesn't wear jewelry but when I gave this to her, she was happy because she wanted religious jewelry to wear to church. Is it more appropriate to give her the gold cross as a keepsake and since she's a member of the family, etc.. but then I already gave her a cross necklace for her bday before. She gave me a $10 bill for my bday recently. Not that it matters

Marci is my friend who is 80 yrs old. She's in good health but I don't know if I've seen her wear much jewelry. But she IS a devout Christian. The only thing I'm concerned about is the clasp is small and even I have trouble putting it on. She probably would appreciate it..but come to think of it she told me once that she doesn't like any of the birthday gifts people give her.. I translate that to mean that because of her age, she would rather get useful gifts.

THere's really no one else that I exchange gifts of much value..There's my sister..she's a religious fanatic and she is awfully good to me.. but her bday isn't until November. Think I should store it away and give it to her? That might be a good idea. She is also the primary caregiver of my mom who is in a nursing home..so it would be a double thank you  Although being a religious fanatic I have no clue how many religious jewelry she has or how often she wears it

The third option is for me to keep the necklace for myself but I doubt if I would ever wear it as I'm not really into jewelry and earrings.

since I always need a seal of approval from someone else, I thought I'd ask you

Answer
Dear Linda,
I would give the cross to your sister for her birthday since it sounds as if she would appreciate it the most. It doesn't matter what jewelry she already has.  That has no bearing on what you might give to her because you give gifts from your heart, not because she "needs" it.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett