Social Etiquette and Good Manners/graduation celebration

Question
Hi Cindy,
I  have a daughter who is graduating from high school soon. She has just received an invite in the mail to a "barbeque " for two fellow graduates on a particular evening prior to graduation.They are all in the same graduating class which is small as it is a private high school.
Here is my question: Is it considered proper to invite a small group of fellow graduates to a private party without including them as being "honored" also? I would think it awkward to acknowledge certain graduates and not others when they are at the same dinner and have achieved the same accomplishments. Also...is it required to bring a gift?
 Thank you,
Sean

Answer
Dear Sean:
The party being hosted in honor of your daughter's classmates is to honor them, not your daughter.  If you want your daughter honored, you need to be the host of the party and set the theme.  Believe me, all the graduating students attending that party will be feeling honored because they will be celebrating their mutual accomplishment with their friends/classmates.
Yes, a gift is important for the host/hostess.  It is necessary whenever you visit someone's home for an invited event.  A card for the graduates is all that is necessary for the classmates.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett