Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Dorms of correct address


I am having a formal dinner and on name place cards don't know hoe to address a gent who is a Crnl in two armies but he is also a Dr which would be the correct address : Crnl Crnl Dr ?

Dear Julie,
I do apologize for the delay in answering your question. You must choose one title for the the place card - presumably the one most appropriate to the formal dinner. If a medical doctor, you'd be safe using that title - either Doctor or Dr.. If the function is more of a 'state' affair, use Colonel or abbreviated service rank (.eg. Col.). But don't use more than one title.
I hope this helps.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jay Remer


I am happy to answer any questions about social or corporate etiquette as well as questions regarding international protocol. It is important to practice civility. It is contagious.


I am certified by the Protocol School of Washington as a consultant for corporate etiquette and international protocol. I have been entertaining and giving advise on entertaining for over 40 years.

Weekly column in Telegraph Journal

Graduate of Protocol School of Washington

©2017 All rights reserved.