Social Etiquette and Good Manners/funeral

Question
My son's wife's sister was killed in a car accident. Is it expected that his siblings and parents attend?

Answer
Dear Blinda,
My condolences for this tragic loss. Every family arranges funerals differently. People in general are neither expected or not to attend a funeral. This is a matter of personal choice. This choice is usually based on the relationship between the deceased and those grieving. Extended family may attend, usually at their discretion. There is no hard and fast rule here. If you would especially like someone to attend, extend a personal invitation by phone. This would be for your own comfort and not for duty. I hope this helps.
Kindest regards,
Jay

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Jay Remer