Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Vacation Costs with Friends and Adult Children

Question
Hi Cynthia,  I am hoping you can help me out with this issue for our vacation this year. We are going with another couple, their son and his finance will be coming as well.  The adult children are out on their own and are both professionals.  We booked a house in the spring that is quite large.  When we were booking it was stated that the son would help with the rental costs. Now that the vacation is looming and the balance is due there is no more talk of the son's monetary participation and I not sure how to broach the subject of what amount is due for the rental.  Can you give me some advice on how to do so?  We are talking about 1000.00 if the 3rd couple (son) does not contribute....Thank You!  Barb

Answer
Dear Barb:
The best way to handle this situation since your rental plans included the son paying his share is to approach the son directly with an invoice in hand (or by email) and sweetly state that deposits are now due based upon his promises and intentions when last contacted about the vacation.  Make sure you tell him when the deadline for payment is due and who to send it to with address and phone number of that person (even it is you).  
Make sure you also tell him how much you are looking forward to spending time with him and getting to know his fiancÚ better too.

Most people wait for the planner to make all the overtures for the logistics including payment and that may be what is happening.  Also, parents may want to have their grown son act like a grown up and handle his responsibilities himself rather than getting involved.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett