Social Etiquette and Good Manners/celebration of life party

Question
We are having a celebration of life party several months after my mom passed. I have friends and coworkers who would like to come for support. My dad says it is not appropriate if they did not know my mom as it is celebrating her and not a memorial.
What is appropriate?

Answer
Dear Sue:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Seems like a good idea to open the proceedings to more people so that more people hear your mother's story. What better way to celebrate your mother's life than to gather not only people who knew her personally, but others who will come to know her during the event?  The fact that these other people want to attend the event is also a tribute to your mother, because it's a testament that she produced a daughter--you--who obviously is thoughtful and kind if she has friends who wish to support her at this time.

I believe your decision will be based on how upset your father will be if you overrule his wishes regarding the guest list.  Only you can answer that question.  I would suggest having a discussion with him that includes some of the points made above.  Ask him why he wouldn't want more people to hear your mother's story and to help remember her, if only indirectly? Her legacy will live on not only through the people who knew her but through those who know of her, as well.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Nancy Mitchell