Social Etiquette and Good Manners/language

my wife and i are french canadian when invited at English canadian friends for diner is it polite of us to often revert to french between the 2 of us in front of our hosts

Dear French speaking Canadian:

Thank you for your question.  As a guest in someone's home, it would be considered rude to speak in French should the other couple not speak the language. If you converse in a language other than English, how do you expect them to be a part of the conversation, especially in their own home?

To the people around you, it may seem like you are talking about something that you do not want them to know about. If you really must talk about something, politely excuse yourself or translate.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Constance Hoffman

As a professional etiquette coach and trainer, I am able to assist with any and all of your questions pertaining to social and business skills, party manner, appearance, communication both verbal and written, tipping, email manners and social media, and of course entertaining and dining etiquette.

As owner of Social and Business Graces, I have been teaching children and adults for over 15 years.

Owner of Social and Business Graces

Owner, teacher, coach and author of "Tips on Tipping".