Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Commenting About Someone's Relationship

Recently I ran into a former classmate from college that I hadn't seen in years.  She was very friendly.  During our conversation, she kept mentioning that she was excited because she was moving in with her boyfriend.

I strongly disapprove of cohabitation for moral reasons.  I think that she expected me to say "congratulations" or "that's wonderful" or something like that, but I just could never do that.  However, I would never tell her my beliefs.  I know that would be inappropriate.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on how I could have properly responded.  Thank you.

You did exactly the right thing.  You were polite, you kept your opinion to yourself and by not mentioning your thoughts on how wrong you thought she was, you were exactly correct without giving the false impression of approval in any way.  You handled yourself beautifully without creating a conflict in the best possible way.  This is the best example of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." that I have ever read.  I'm very proud of you!  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Teri Davis Newman

I can answer virtually any question pertaining to manners and etiquette. I am a wedding and party planner in St. Louis, Missouri and I do weddings and parties all over the country! My brides are my number one priority as I understand how important their wedding day is to them! Any questions about catering and cooking for large groups. This would include recipes, cooking techniques, what to serve, how to prevent food poisoning, food storage and food integrity. I have thousands of recipes that are scaled for large groups and gatherings and will be happy to share them! If you are in need of professional assistance for helping you to plan your wedding, party or corporate event, please feel free to contact me! I do a limited amount of weddings and parties every year in order to make sure that I have the best service for my clientele. Feel free to visit my business website at this address: WWW.EXQUISITEEVENTSUSA.COM for detailed information on what services I offer. I have price point weddings for every budget--no matter what size and I am very specific about what you get for your hard-earned money.

I teach etiquette classes for children and adults in the St Louis area. Classes include Table Manners, Table Settings, Invitations, Thank you notes, Condolence Notes and Wedding etiquette for brides and guests.

I attended Charm School as a child in Palm Beach and am currently a corporate etiquette consultant for correct manners in the USA and Japan. I studied Japanese etiquette while living in Tokyo.