Social Etiquette and Good Manners/What's your favourite etiquette book?

Hi Cynthia

What's your all-time favourite eitquette book?
(I did ask this before but I think it got lost in the syatem).

Happy 2015,

Paul Murphy,
London, UK.

Hi Paul -
My favorite etiquette book is the book I wrote, "Modern Civility" by Cynthia W. Lett.  My next favorite is the first etiquette book I received when I was 7 years old - "White Gloves and Party Manners" by Marjabelle Young and Ann Buchwald. Later in my life, I knew both of these ladies and respected them greatly.  It was the book that turned me on to good manners and their importance in a good life.  There are over 400 etiquette books in my library and about 35% have wrong,stupid information in them - the authors just made it up I guess.  

If you would like a comment on any particular book, email me directly (I won't comment on any book publicly unless I really like it).  My email is

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett

Proper manners with friends,family,colleagues,neighbors and everyone else you know.

I have been an etiquette expert teaching and consulting on the subject worldwide since 1983. I started and serve as the Executive Director of the International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals and am considered a leader in the field of etiquette and protocol training and execution. I edited "Etiquette for Dummies" and have recently written "Lett's Talk - Everyday Etiquette Dilemmas and What to Do about Them". My book, "That's So Annoying:An Etiquette Expert on the World's Most Irritating Habits And What To Do About Them" was published in 2009 and is available wherever books are sold. I taught the Business Protocol class to Master's level students at the George Washington University, Washington, DC for seven years I served as Chief of Protocol for MCI Telecommunications for three years.

International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals, ASTD, PCMA, National Speakers Association

I have been quoted over 700 times in the past 5 years worldwide. Publications include Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Washington Times, NY Times, Washington Business Journal, USA Today, Associated Press, London Times, Newsweek Japan edition, Newsweek US edition and many many more.

I am a Certified Etiquette Professional (CEP) and Certified Protocol Professional (CPP) earned by examination through ISPEP. I have a Master's degree in hospitality law and undergrad degrees in Restaurant & Hotel Management and Public Relations/Interpersonal Communications from Purdue University.

Who's Who Worldwide,Who's Who of American Women, Distinguished Darden Professor (Purdue University).

World Bank, United Nations,US Dept. of State, US. Dept. of the Army, Pentagon, Barclays Global Investors,Accenture,Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, The White House, Dept. of State, AT&T,Bank of America,American Association of Clinical Pharmacies,Ritz Carlton Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Marriott Hotels,Starwood Hotels,and many more.