Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Friend Communicating with Her Boss

Question
Hello Nancy:  My friend works in a small office.  She gets along well with her boss.  Recently, the boss started playing loud music (all day) in the office.  This gives my friend a headache, and makes it difficult for her to do her job.  

My friend has decided not to mention the loud music to her boss.  She assumes that she will lose her job if she brings it up.

My friend is considering quitting her job and looking for another job, but she doesn't know how to respond to her boss if her asks her why she is quitting.  She needs to be very polite because she may need a letter of recommendation from him.  I would greatly appreciate your advice.  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Alicia:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Because your friend gets along well with her boss, I assume that the boss is a fairly reasonable person who is not known for sudden fits of rage or other irrational, obnoxious behavior.  This makes me wonder why your friend is so reluctant to speak to her boss about this situation, and why she would consider leaving her job before trying to solve this simple problem.

Encourage your friend to meet with her boss and tell him/her about how the music is affecting her. Most bosses strive to create a comfortable and efficient work environment that encourages productivity. I doubt that this person would want to be the cause of an employee's headaches or resignation.  My guess is he/she doesn't know the impact of the music on others.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Nancy Mitchell