Social Etiquette and Good Manners/friends calling only when they need something

Question
Hello Nancy,

I have a friend who tends to call me when she needs help with something. Often their call will be late at night, or they will call and suggest a date like lunch or coffee at very short notice - almost like they have a sudden need to talk or a problem. This friend almost never calls me without a reason or to ask me how I am and I am growing dissatisfied with this friendship.

May I have your advice on the best way of handling this?

Many thanks

David

Answer
Dear David:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your friend seems to have forgotten the analogy that friendship is like a garden--it needs tending on a regular basis in order to flourish. In the relationship that you describe, it appears that you have been doing most of the tending and your friend, the reaping.

Ask yourself if there is a reason to continue this friendship. If not, ease out of it by being unavailable for these last-minute invitations and severely limiting the number of times you say yes to her requests.  Once this is no longer a friendship, you can manage your expectations. You will expect less of her and, consequently, you won't feel as dissatisfied with your few encounters. In fact, it feels good to help an acquaintance occasionally, because it's simple--show up and accomplish a task when your schedule and resources permit.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Nancy Mitchell