Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Not observing a holiday

Question
The last time I went to the dentist, the dental hygienist asked me what my plans for a certain holiday were.  I do not observe this holiday at all.  I did not want to get into a discussion about my personal beliefs.

I would appreciate your advice on how I should have responded.  (I actually told her that I would be celebrating this holiday, but I didn't like saying this, because it wasn't true).

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Alicia:

It is awkward when someone asks us a question which assumes something about us that isn't true.  The best response to any question that makes untrue assumptions is the truth.  If someone asks, "How are you going to spend your Christmas?" and you are Hindu or whatever, the best response would be something like, "I don't observe Christmas but I intend to spend the day hiking up in the mountains outside of town with my kids.  Will you be observing Christmas?  If so, what do you do to celebrate?"  Of course, make up whatever applies to your activities.  

People ask us questions like this not to put us on the spot and make us uncomfortable, but to find commonalities between us.  If you did observe, you might share a tradition your family practices.  When you don't share the commonality, be sure to include the asker what they will be doing.  After all, they are trying to connect with you and it would be rude to not attempt to make that connection in some way.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett